16.2.09

A difficult situation

We were watching the sun come up, it was blood red.
And I turned to her, asking, "Did you know about this?"
She shrugged and shook her head, telling me to sit back and watch the show. The clouds were frothing over the horizon towards us, still red and orange. I was a little worried. I knew that we went to karaoke the night before, but I couldn't quite remember what we sang. I had a feeling that I wasn't supposed to. All I could remember was that the words didn't make any sense to me.
Then they came, galloping, the clouds spitting up behind them like great wakes in a lake. There were four of them, of course, as the words dictate. And they were leading the legions, of course, as the words dictate. I was getting uncomfortable.
"Is this what you wanted me to see? Is this what that song was about?" I asked.
I hugged my knees and she put her hand on my shoulder.
"It's lovely, isn't it? Don't be afraid, my dear. It's just as it's meant to be. You should be there, you know. Get your sword."
She stood, and held her hand out to me. Words filtered through my hung-over brain. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh. Wait, that couldn't be right. C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. I remembered what they meant, now. I hadn't wanted to sing them, but I really had no choice in the matter. I looked at her hand and took it.
We stood together, and all I could think was, how am I supposed to fight in the Apocalypse with this bloody great hangover?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, the hang over makes it easier...

Ur... was I supposed to tell you that now? Maybe it was in two years.